Friday 21 August 2020

Words championing rights - Review of the book "political stories" by Volga

Words championing rights - Review of the book
"political stories"
by Volga

         When I talk about progressive ideas or ideology, I usually get myself mocked in circles. Not only me, anybody who speaks progressively has to face the half-cooked minds' blabbering who would conveniently swerve the topic linking it to culture, tradition, and what not all the orthodoxy heritage. Especially when we talk about Feminism, those who claim that they're progressive clan turn into 'hall of mirrors'

     In a generation which boasts itself of its richness and when a social distinction is meted out with uncanny parallels of the society, it is the youth who should speak aggressively of being progressive. I always wanted to be one in that group. This liking for feminism started when I read "Swetcha" novel of Volga. That was the first Feminist novel I've read in my life. The author ends the novel in such a dilemma and makes space for the readers to think on.

     I too picked up the same technique for my writing. I don't want to teach people values through my pen. I just want to present the society and most of my stories too to end with either a question or dilemma. It makes the readers think of the issue for a while. I believe it surely has a great impact rather than it'll have when we wrap it up with some moral rendering.

      When I read a book, I spoil it all with my underlining, highlighting, and what not all that is needed to April spoil the paper. Later when I open the book with the highlights of bookmarks I get nostalgic of its understanding then but the stories of Volga make me think for days for a solution which leads me to read more on the issue and this book "political stories" was beyond doubt which left me on a room of thirst questions to be quenched.

     It's too late that I read this book. I feel so progressive when I speak of gender sensitization in this 2020 but Volga's book "political stories" was nothing but pieces of her stories published in dailies and magazines during the 1980s. That's why I need to reiterate that I read this book very late...of the progressive ideology professed then!

      Progressive ideology was meant to bring some progression in society. It cannot be done overnight but it's been decades, the issues talked about in this book haven't been solved at and the change we call is the tip of an iceberg.

      We read that Harappan civilization has worshipped an idol of a female genital. I don't understand how this situation turned out where the abuses in any language surround coin from the secondary sexual characters of women or on their sexuality. There were days where I stand with my friends where they used to screen every girl going on the street and go on to describe their sexual parts and get erotic. When I retorted that this is bad they used to be like "Aren't you make??? Behave masculine"

      This gender sensitization is deep-rooted in the Indian culture that attributes are given to every gender and anybody who breaks out were called eunuchs. This book of Volga breaks out the myths of gender sensitization in particular the bodies of women.

     The author tells us how every part of the women's body turns out to be a label of oppression. The naming of the stories is with the body parts like - eyes, nose stud, Stony breasts...

     The author creates a situation in every story where the protagonist female tries to tear the web of gender sensitization and what would be the consequences. There is a situation where in the story, Stony breasts: the protagonist feels relieved when she was said that her breasts need to be cut off due to cancer. That story portrays the heights of the pain of oppression. Most astonishing thing is that the writer was such a keen liberal that she speaks of live-in-relationship during the 1980s which I see so rarely in Telugu literature.

      I wonder such stories made their space in Telugu magazines long back and it shows us the hollow space formed in the society due to the lack of the torchbearer. Somewhere there's a feeling for me that the translation wasn't up to the mark that the translator at some points failed to capture the punch of Volga weaving of words.

     The author doesn't only lament on each issue but also tells 'what should be done through the story 'What should be done'. That story's character Shoba was such natural that I felt she is a person living next door. As said before, Volga shows her mark of leaving the stories either with a question mark or dilemma but the last story ends with the hope and I end with last lines of the book

  "Prompted by their enthusiasm, the night appeared eager for the morning as lighting illuminated the dark sky"

 

 - Reviewed by

 Pity Parker



Follow me on #Instagram


https://www.instagram.com/pity_parker?r=nametag

Share:

2 comments: